Friday, July 4, 2008

Welcoming in Shabbat(july 4th)

Tonight we went down to the Western Wall to welcome in Shabbat. It was so much fun. There was just tons of Jewish people there celebrating a new Shabbat. They were dancing, singing, reading, praying, just having a grand old time. The sexes were separated, of course, and it was surprising how the women's side was so much smaller then the men's but I guess the woman have to stay home and tend the little kids or something. But it was so much fun. I went up and touched the wall. The wall itself is Holy, as holy as a Temple to us. They all face the wall and read their prayers then they stick prayers into the wall. The wall was covered with small pieces of rolled up papers that are prayers. It is wrong to turn your back to the wall so it was interesting trying to get to the back of the group without looking. In the back of the groups there was tons of dancing. The people there are so welcoming. A bunch of us were standing behind them watching and clapping along and they'd just reach out and grab your hand and all of the sudden I was dancing in the Sabbath as well.
I didn't know what they were saying but smiles and joy communicates across the language barrier. They were so happy to have Sabbath. It made me think about how I treat Sundays. I wish I could celebrate the Sabbath like this every weekend cuz it was fun but now I wonder how they treat the rest of the day. What do they do all day?
Another fun thing that happened today was it was the fourth of July. On the way back to the JC after dancing in Shabbat there were fireworks. I decided that they were for the Fourth of July. Actually there are fireworks every night. But these ones were special, just in my mind of course, but it was fun to think about how it is the Fourth of July.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Fireworks are awesome!!! Are the firework shows there as good as the ones in Jackson??

jheywood said...

How cool that you got to go into such a holy place. I bet it was very complicated getting back to your group without turining your back! Have a great time!!!!!!! Luv, Heather

smcmullin said...

I thought I'd write a post so you know that I actually do check your blog. It's even on my favourite's list. Anyway, I'd heard about welcoming in Shabbat, but that's so awesome that you actually got to do it.

SavvySmiles said...

thanks spencer,
thanks marie
thank you so much heather. i haven't heard from you inawhile. you should email me. i went to East High with my roommates and we had so much fun i thought of you though. ;)