Happy fourth of July. I'm in Isreal and the cooks today made us a special treat for lunch. We had burgers and fries and hot dogs. For breakfast we had watermelon. I'm excited to see what we have for dinner. The only thing was there were no buns so we used pitas as our buns. I wish I would've had my camera to take a picture of us eating our "american" meal because it was amazing. I sure enjoyed it. I'm also thinking there'll be fireworks tonight since every night someone in the Old City lights off fireworks. So if there are any tonight I'm sure they will be to celebrate America's Independence day. ;)
The last couple days have been pretty boring. I've just staying in the Center studying and preparing for my tests (i had two today) and getting ahead on my homework so that while I'm in Egypt I can fully enjoy the sites and not worry about how much work I will have when I get back to the JC.
Today in my middle eastern class we learned about Egypt's History. Its crazy cuz all my life I've been fascinated by Egypt and their culture but I never thought in a thousand years I'd have the chance to actually go and see the sites myself. And yet here I am, I leave in 2 days for Egypt.
Another funny thing is I'm starting to think like a teacher. In our orientation meeting for Egypt they talked about making sure you don't get ripped off as a tourist when going to buy papyrus or cartooshes. The thought popped into my mind that if I ever teach 6th grade it would be wonderful to have real papyrus and a real cartoosh to show my students. And then thoughts about how I need to take pictures so I can someday show my students that I went to the pyramids and I saw mummies and the works came into my head as well. I guess I did chose the right major if I'm thinking ahead like that eh?
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy 4th of July!!! The Heywoods are getting ready to leave for the "Jackson Hole 4th of July Parade". We are anxious to see what treats will be thrown to the crowd this year. Being in the Middle East will really make you appreciate the freedoms of the USA... Love, Mom
Happy 4th of July! :) It's SOOOOOOO cool that you get to go to Jerusalem :) At the Parade (which I think is the first on I've been to) they threw corn and tennis balls. I'm surprised no one got hurt! Well, have an awesome time in Jerusalem. Luv, Heather
Post a Comment