Today is my last day in Jerusalem. Can you believe that?
Yesterday was the most amazingest day I've ever had. It was like every thursday at efy times 20million. It was just GREAT!
Yesterday was our last week walk. We started at the JC(Jerusalem Center) and walked down the Orson Hyde Park to the Garden of Gethsemane. Thanks to our good teachers and the JC's track record they let us in the private garden. It was just us and the garden no one else was there(well actually one man jumped the fence behind us, army crawled in front of us and then took off running as fast as he could to the other side of the park it was pretty hilarious). We opened the day with a hymn and a prayer then Jocelyne and Angela did a musical number to His Hands (which is pretty much my favorite church song ever! look it up if you don't know it).After the number Mark gave an invitation prayer.(I know theres a better word for it but you get the idea. It was just a prayer to invite the Spirit in) The spirit was so strong there. Brother Draper then gave us a lecture on what happened at the Garden of Gethsemane that really drove the point of the Atonement home. It was amazing to be there and really see the Olive Trees and the Olive Press. After the stiring lecture Brother Draper gave we had 15 minutes to go sit and ponder about what happened there. We then walked through the Ancient Olive Tree garden and the Churh of all Nations. From there we walked in silence for 27 minutes up a big hill to St. Peter in Gallicantu where Christ was tried by the Sanhedrian and where Peter denied him 3 times. The walk was a hard one. I was breathing hard and dripping in sweat by the time we got there. This walk is one Christ made after suffering in the Garden. We then went and walked through the Church at St. Peter's and talked about what happened there. Christ was most likely Flogged there in the cistern under the building. We sang How Great the Wisdom there and boy did I feel the spirit. We sang of his broken flesh and his blood and right there in that room or a room like it His flesh was broken and He body bloodied. It was such a feeling to be there.
After that we had lunch and walked over to the Upper Room. In the Upper Room we sang some hymns and recieved a lesson there about how not only was it the room of the Last Supper but it was also the room of the resurrected Lord. He appeared there. As we were singing some people came in to look around the room but when they saw we were singing many of them stopped and just listened to us. Some even started singing along as we sang "Abide with Me" I hope the Spirit touched them the way it touched me. I've learned a lot about missionary work through the Spirit and by example. We aren't allowed to say anything about the gospel or what Mormons believe here but the government can't stop our spirits from shining or our love and kindness from showing. I know that when the Middle East is opened up for missionary work that the work will go forth quickly because these people are being prepared by their encounters with all the mormons.
After the Upper Room we walked across the middle of the Old City to the Church of flagellation. This walk we did in silence again. I kept thinking about how amazing all these people were that I was seeing, even though I don't know them. I also thought about how alone I felt there and I watched them and they didn't even notice me. That's probably how Christ felt as he walked with his cross. The people during his time saw so many men carrying their cross up to the hill that it was an everyday occurance that they got used to. I'm sure that as he walked the crowded streets some mocked him, some felt sorry for him and some ignored him but I know that not many knew who he was and what he was about to do. How lonely would that have been.
After the church of Flagellation we went to the Garden Tomb. The joy and peace I felt there was amazing. I couldn't stop smiling over the excitiment of being at the tomb and seeing the sign that said "He is not here for he is risen." We got another amazing lecture from Brother Draper during which we could hear around the garden other people singing and rejoicing. AFter that we had free time til curfew. My group chose to stick around the garden for another 15 minutes to reflect on the day before we headed off to the busy streets for some last minute shopping.
During my reflection time I started to think about all the emotions I felt that day. In the Garden of Gethsemane I felt pained and guilty for all the sins I've committed and will continue to commit since I am a fallen being. There is no getting around it that everyday of my life no matter how hard I try I will still sin, small or great sin is all the same. Next as we walked up the hill I felt hot and uncomfortable and sore. (I had worked out the night before so my legs were already sore before the hike). I also felt gratitude as I thought about all the Savior did for me. Then in the cistern as we talked about what it meant to be Flogged I felt sick over the treatment of human beings and the hurt of the body that they recieved. I felt sick to think of the Savior who was completely innocent went through this awful punishment for me and everyone else on this planet including those who were hurting him so. As we walked through the Old City I felt lonely and love. I felt love for all the people here and lonely for my famiy and friends. I wanted to see a familiar face in the crowds. Then at the Garden I felt so happy from the inside out.
Then after dinner we had a "heartsharing meeting" since we aren't allowed to have testimony meetings without the proper authority but we can share our heartfelt testimonies. We each got 1-2 minutes to share something. I always feel like whenever I get up to share my testimony that I always sit down thinking "oh man I should've said this or that" but this time I didn't. I said exactly what I needed to say and it was amazing. Sharing testimony always builds up my own. I was privelged to lead the hymns during the meeting. The closing hymn was 195 (or so I think) Each Life that Touches Us. It was such a great experience as I stood on the stage singing this song looking into the faces of those people that have all touched my life so much. I started to cry and notice the tears in other people's eyes as well. I'm really going to miss everyone here and the learning that has taken place. But the amazing thing is that the learning will continue and thanks to technology the people won't be that far away from me.
What a great experience I've been blessed with these last two months. I can't even describe in words how much I've grown and how much I've loved every minute in this place with these people.
I want to thank all of those back home to made it possible and who kept me connected to home. Thanks for everything. I'm excited to be home in 50 hours ish and to see everyone and share with them my pictures and what i've learned. Thanks to all of you(youknow who you are) I also want to thank my Heavenly Father for allowing this to happen. It really was His will that I come and He set it up for me so all I had to do was get on the path. He really opened so many doors that I didn't even know needed to be opened. I've learned so much I plan on remembering it always!
See you soon!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment